Mac Places on the Web — There’s Tons of ’em
Favorites places I frequently visit.
This page was started by Dave, but has not been updated in years. Many of the links were dead or if still valid, had not been updated in years. So I have gone ahead and updated the page. I will try to keep this page updated. Let me know if you have your favorite links.
Information and News
- iMore — www.imore.com
- The Macobserver- www.macobserver.com/
- 9to5 mac – 9to5mac.com
- The three above have articles often referenced by others
- MacInTouch (publishes less often these days) – www.macintouch.com/
- Macrumors (good to look for comments about mac updates) –www.macrumors.com/
- Tidbits – www.tidbits.com. You can also get it by email subscription.
- Podcast about Apple Lets Talk Apple lets-talk.ie
- Mobile phones-Providers, Unlocking, deals, etc Howardforums
For Security Information and News
- Krebs On Security krebsonsecurity.com
- Intego security blog intego.com
- Naked Security naked security.sophos.com
- A great repository of information on older Macs — lowendmac.com
- The Mac OS X download page
- The Apple Discussion forums
- Find an Apple User Group
- Torrance Adult School — Some Microsoft Office classes
- iFixit –Repair instructions for do it yourself repairs. Tool kits. Teardown reports. Only advise is to carefully read the repair steps and be sure you are up to it before proceeding.
Note the Mac Classes at Torrance Adult school ended years back. Udemy has some online Macintosh classes. Have not used them and can’t tell you about them.
Apple pushes their latest operating system, because it is the most up to date and has all the new features. However some older Mac computers cannot run the latest system. The older Mac OS’s are available, however Apple hides them a bit. So here is the link to the older systems. Note Apple has only been supporting security updates for two versions back, so think before installing older systems on newer hardware that can support the latest systems.
- Link to older Apple OS’s for upgrading. support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683
Note I would recommend downloading directly from the vendors websites.
Shopping Tips — where to get the best deals
- See our TBS Shopping page
- dealnews.com – they track deals
- Memory Hard drives etc Often recommended OWC
- Memory, SSD hard drives Often recommended Crucial
Shopping sites are rarely operated by philanthropic organizations. If you click on a link the referring site may get a kick-back, a redirect fee. We have a TBS Shopping page where the commission goes to SBAMUG members.
Later Macs (those still with user upgradable Ram) seem to be picky about quality ram. The two companies OWC and Crucial get recommended most often on the Apple discussion site.
Great Freeware and Shareware products
Native for OS X.
- GraphicConverter — Opens and edits almost any graphic file and has a great slideshow and image browser ($30)
- URL Manager Pro — A very handy program for managing your bookmarks. Lots of features. ($25). They also sell Web Confidental, a nifty program for storing all your passwords
- Carbon Copy Cloner is a paid to backup (clone) a bootable copy of Mac OS X; with limitations on newer systems.
- Mactracker is a great database of all the Macs, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV’s, Watch, Cameras, Scanners, Monitors, Printers, Displays and more.
<– This is an image linked from the regular www.SBAMUG.com site. You can click it then click the colored Picture button to edit the info. Clicking the red no smoking sign will delete the picture.
The picture URL is https://sbamug.com/images/logo_new.gif